The new generation of the R-Class now features an enhanced self-assured appearance, highlighting the unique personality of this versatile vehicle.
The overall impression in particular has benefitted significantly from the completely redesigned front section, which borrows elements both from Mercedes-Benz saloons and SUV models. In addition to the fresh exterior, the “twenty-eleven” model year R-Class also impresses with a number of distinctive interior features. These include the economy of space found in the latest MPVs, as well as the comfort, high-class appeal and prestige associated with classic Mercedes-Benz saloons. At the same time, the latest generation offers the same level of interior diversity for which its predecessor was renowned, and also boasts the robustness and all-wheel-drive properties of Mercedes-Benz SUV’s for the R 350 CDI L. The R-Class will be celebrating its world premiere on 31 March 2010 at the New York International Auto Show (NYIAS). UK deliveries begin in September 2010.
Engine line-up: economical drive systems
The UK model range consists of two variants: R 300 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY 2WD and the R 350 CDI L 4MATIC. With a fuel consumption figure of 37.2mpg*, compared with its predecessor the R 300 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY model requires around 7 per cent less fuel while offering the same power output and enhanced performance. The new R 350 CDI 4MATIC combines the high performance of a V8 model with the low fuel consumption of an economical V6 variant. It consumes 33.2mpg* of diesel, thereby undercutting its predecessor by 2.8mpg– yet is able to offer significantly enhanced performance. While previously the maximum performance topped out at 165 kW (224 hp), the V6 diesel engine now boasts 195 kW (265 hp) as well as massive torque of 620 Newton metres. Making its debut in the R-Class, this powerful package enables the sportiest of all of the R-Class models with diesel engine to achieve effortlessly superior levels of performance. Acceleration from 0 to 62 mph takes 7.6 seconds, while the top speed is 146 mph.
*NEDC combined consumption
Key technical data+:
|Cyl.||cc||kW/hp rpm||Nm from rpm||0 – 100 km/h s||Top speed (km/h)||l/100 km NEDC|
|R 300 CDI|
|9.5||215||7.6 – 7.8||199 – 206|
|R 350 CDI 4MATIC||V6||2987||195/265|
+provisional figures for the international model range which may also vary from country to country.
CDI-/ = diesel models, 1 standard wheelbase available, 2 BE = BlueEFFICIENCY
3 long wheelbase available, 4 figures in brackets apply to long wheelbase variant
Simply stunning: the design of the new generation R-Class
The latest generation of the R-Class features a new, self-assured appearance. The overall impression is virtually seamless and encapsulates the unique personality of this highly versatile vehicle. The focus of the designers was the completely revised front section which, by emphasising the width and making use of a horizontally structured bonnet, affords the entire vehicle a look which is as harmonious as it is powerfully dynamic. In addition to the bonnet, the vehicle’s wings, radiator grille and surround, headlamps and bumpers with chrome underguard have all been completely redesigned. As standard on UK models, a chrome insert with integrated LED daytime driving lights in conjunction with bi-xenon headlamps is available to enhance the look of the R-Class even further.
The side view features coupé-like lines – a pleasant contrast to regular large-capacity vehicles – and is characterised by the modified exterior mirror housings and the wheel design. Wheels are available in 5-spoke, 5-twin spoke or 10-spoke designs, and in sizes ranging from 43.2 to 53.3 centimetres (17 to 21 inches). The design idiom of the front is continued consistently through the rear area which, with its new bumper covering, modified tail lamps and integrated tailpipe trim, has also been given an accentuated wide look. The 2011 model year R-Class looks particularly refined in the new “diamond white” paint finish.
Wellness program: a relaxed environment both for longer journeys or everyday use
If there was a versatility test for car interiors, the R-Class would certainly be the favourite to take first place. Designed for a relaxed, safe driving environment, the saloon offers seven seats as standard in both the normal and long wheelbase versions. The R-Class comes with partially power-adjustable seats for driver and front passenger as standard, while as an option front passengers can also enjoy the luxury of actively ventilated and heated multicontour seats (heating is standard in the UK) with full power adjustment and memory function.
The R-Class also reveals another benefit in the form of its large, versatile luggage compartment: in the standard-wheelbase version the luggage compartment holds up to 1950 litres, while the long-wheelbase version boasts 2385 litres. The optional EASY PACK tailgate can be operated remotely by means of a switch or key also makes access to the luggage.compartment easier. As such the R-Class is the most variable and spacious vehicle in the entire Mercedes-Benz passenger car product range.
The bright, classic interior – which seems even more spacious when fitted with the optional panoramic glass sunroof – makes use of new materials and colour combinations which enhance the high-class appeal and quality of this unique long-distance saloon. At the same time they underline the sense of wellbeing which is typical of the Mercedes-Benz interior. Available interior appointments include the upholstery combination of “Aspen” fabric and breathable, soft-touch ARTICO man-made leather.
Single-tone nappa leather appointments are also available as standard in conjunction with the AMG Interior Sports package. In addition to aluminium trim with a dark longitudinal-grain and chrome trim in silver shadow, luxurious wood trim in high-gloss brown eucalyptus, high-gloss brown burred walnut or high-gloss anthracite poplar can also be ordered.
Model range: the new generation R-Class with a personal touch
The basic variants already provide an opportunity to tailor the R-Class according to personal vehicle preferences in each case. Both models boast numerous features as standard which help to make travelling both on long journeys as well as on short urban trips even safer and more relaxed. These features include the unique anticipatory occupant protection system PRE-SAFE®, a complete restraint system with eight airbags, crash-active NECK-PRO head restraints, a tyre pressure loss warning system and adaptive brake lights. Safety is also enhanced thanks to high-performance telematics systems such as the standard Audio 20 or the optional Audio 50 APS and COMAND APS with an extremely user-friendly interface.
The automatic climate control system is fitted with a combination filter to help further reduce pollutants which may be contained in the outside air entering the vehicle. As an optional extra, a luxury climate control system providing separate rear air conditioning is available to meet all interior air conditioning requirements. The spacious glove compartment now comes with an AUX-IN connection for external audio or entertainment devices. Connection options can also be extended further with an optional Media Interface (UCI).
To complement the extensive standard equipment, the R-Class provides a variety of assistant systems which push ride comfort and safety to the highest level and contribute to the vehicle’s leading position in this market segment. These include DISTRONIC proximity control, AIRMATIC air suspension with the Adaptive Damping System (ADS), or Blind Spot Assist, which can make changing lanes significantly safer. The modern LINGUATRONIC voice control system makes using the telematics systems even easier and more convenient, while a reversing camera provides for smooth, easy parking or manoeuvring in blind spots. As soon as the driver engages “R” gear, the image from the camera is shown on the high-resolution COMAND APS display. Rear passengers, meanwhile, can enjoy their own entertainment programme thanks to the Rear Seat Entertainment System. Seat heating can also be ordered for the second row of seats to increase comfort even further in winter.
Valuation: neutral surveys confirm high resale opportunities
Experience shows that Mercedes-Benz models belong to the most stable vehicles on the market in terms of values and they therefore offer a significant financial advantage. This was confirmed once again last year by a neutral third-party when specialist magazine “Auto Bild” selected the “2010 Value Champions” in different vehicle categories based on surveys conducted by Saarbrücken-based market research institute Bähr & Fess Forecast. The “Value Champion” among MPV’s, the R 300 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY, emerged ahead of the field in this market segment and according to the forecasts would retain a value of 47.5 percent after four years. The R-Class already held this leading position in the expert analysis of residual values last year.
All models boast numerous features as standard which help to make travelling both on long journeys as well as on short urban trips even safer and more relaxed. The following is an extract of the standard equipment:
- 7G-TRONIC automatic transmission with DIRECT SELECT lever on the steering column and shift paddles on the steering wheel
- Airbag system: adaptive airbags and side airbags for driver and front passenger, windowbags across all three rows of seats
- Adaptive brake lights warn traffic behind by flashing in an emergency braking situation
- Permanent 4MATIC all-wheel drive on the R 350 CDI L 4MATIC,
- Heated and electrically adjustable exterior mirrors
- Courtesy lights in the doors
- AUX-IN connection (in glove compartment)
- Brake Assist (BAS)
- Stainless steel front door sill panels with “Mercedes-Benz” lettering
- Electric power windows (4 windows)
- ESP® with tyre pressure loss warning and trailer stabilisation
- Headlamp Assist
- Tinted glass
- Privacy glass
- Belt force limiters on all seats
- Belt tensioners on all seats
- Bicolour tail lamps with LED and fibre-optic elements
- ISOFIX child seat attachment system
- Automatic climate control with 2 climate zones
- Comfort multifunction steering wheel in nappa leather
- Steering column, adjustable for height and reach
- Crash-active NECK-PRO head restraints for driver and front passenger
- Direct steering for the R 350 CDI L (R 300 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY: electrohydraulic power steering)
- Wheels and tyres:- 235/65 R 17 tyres for R 300 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY; 10-spoke light-alloy wheels
– 255/55 R 18 tyres for R 350 CDI L 4MATIC;10‑spoke light-alloy wheels
- Rain sensor for the windscreen wipers
- TIREFIT tyre repair set with electric compressor
- Headlamps with H7 projector beam technology, chrome insert with integrated LED daytime driving lights and bi-xenon headlamps
- Audio 20 CD telematics system
- Cruise control with SPEEDTRONIC
- 4ETS traction system (on R 350 CDI L 4MATIC)
- Ambient lighting in the exterior mirrors
- Central display in 3-D instrument cluster
- Central locking with remote control
- Brushed aluminium trim with longitudinal-grain, chrome trim in silver shadow
- Air suspension with self-levelling at the rear.
Other attractive equipment options* can help to make the R-Class experience even more impressive:
- AIRMATIC package, air suspension with Adaptive Damping System (ADS), vehicle level adjustment via a switch in the centre console, automatic lowering on motorways
- DISCTRONIC proximity control
- Electric folding left and right exterior mirrors with programmable automatic function
- Electric power vent window for the third row of seats
- Audio 50 APS telematics system with 6-disc CD changer
- EASY-PACK tailgate with remote control
- EASY-PACK load compartment cover
- PARKTRONIC parking aid Rear-seat entertainment system
- Rear air conditioning system (Only available in conjunction with luxury climate control)
- Programmable garage door opener integrated into the rear-view mirror
- Electrically adjustable steering column
- Media Interface (UCI)
- Memory function for front seats, mirrors and steering wheel (Only available with Luxury Seat Package)
- Centre console for the middle row of seats
- Multifunction wood/leather-trimmed steering wheel
- Heated multifunction steering wheel
- Actively ventilated multicontour seats for driver and front passenger (Only available with Luxury Seat Package)
- Multi-zone luxury automatic climate control
- COMAND multimedia system:- LINGUATRONIC
– Radio with twin tuner
– 6-disc CD changer
– DVD audio/video player
– high-resolution 16.5-centimetre (6.5-inch) colour display
– 4 GB of storage for MP3 files (Music Register)
– Storage card slot (SD cards)
– Hard-disc navigation with automatic consideration of traffic congestion
– Compass function
- Electric panoramic sliding glass sunroof with interior electric roller sunblind, convenience closing feature and double sun screens
- Wheels and tyres:- 255/50 R19 tyres, 10-spoke alloy wheels
– 255/50 R19 tyres, 5-spoke alloy wheels
– 265/45 R 20 tyres, 5-twin-spoke light-alloy wheels (Only available as part of the Sports Styling Package)
– 265/45 R 20 tyres, AMG 5-spoke high-sheen light-alloy wheels
– 265/40 R 21 tyres, AMG 5-spoke titanium silver light-alloy wheels
– Tyre pressure monitoring system, selective wheels with pressure sensors and antennas
- Reversing camera (in conjunction with COMAND APS)
- Heated windscreen washer system
- Headlamp cleaning system
- Rear sidebags
- Heated rear seats
- Harman Kardon® Logic7® sound system with eleven loudspeakers and surround sound
- Electrically adjustable front seats with memory function (Only available as part of Luxury Seat Package)
- Wood trim in “high-gloss brown eucalyptus”, “high-gloss brown burr walnut”, “high-gloss anthracite poplar” or “aluminium with dark longitudinal-grain”
- KEYLESS-GO access and drive authorisation system
Popular equipment options have been combined into attractive packages:
These are planned to be:
- Exterior Chrome package:chrome beltline trim strips, door handles in the vehicle colour with chrome insert, rub strips with chrome insert, chrome-look underguard at the front and chromed tailpipe trims (standard in UK)
- Exterior Sports package (Not offered in UK)
comprising Chrome package(UK standard), 20-inch 5-twin-spoke light-alloy wheels, blue-tinted glass all round (these 2 will be included in the Sports Styling Package below) and rear air suspension (UK standard)
- Interior Sports package (called Sports Styling Package in UK):Interior Light package, front sports seats, Alcantara/ARTICO man-made leather upholstery combination with contrasting stitching and brushed stainless steel sports pedals And alloys and Tinted Blue glass from Exterior Sports Package in UK)
- Interior AMG Sports package:Nappa leather AMG sports seats, fully power-adjustable at the front, AMG ergonomic sports steering wheel with shift paddles, floor mats with “AMG” lettering, sports pedals in brushed stainless steel with rubber studs, Interior Light package and also Multicontour Seat package and Interior Sports Package.