Subaru today unveiled the new Subaru XV as a world premiere at the 64th Frankfurt Motor Show. Subaru plans to introduce the new XV to the European market as its strategic model to provide customers with “Enjoyment and Peace of Mind” through Subaru’s new “Confidence in Motion” brand statement.
The fundamental product concept that Subaru adopted for the XV is “Urban Adventure.” In specific terms, a vehicle that would be perfectly suited to exciting, lively, yet stress-free use in the city. Thus, Subaru balanced optimal performance factors such as fuel efficiency and enjoyable driving (Fun to Drive) with a stylish, highly distinctive exterior design.
Packaging / Utility
This vehicle’s interior provides unmatched comfort levels to all passengers and best-in-class spaciousness.
· The XV features an extremely roomy passenger compartment, a cargo area that is both spacious and convenient, and excellent riding comfort.
· The door opening dimensions have been enlarged and the higher seat position allows much easier ingress and egress.
· With a focus on convenience, ample storage space for small objects is provided at ideal locations. The Multi-Function Display (MFD) is highly visible in the upper middle section of the instrument panel for comfortable driving.
Coined from the terms “professional tool” and “trendy design,” Subaru’s “Protren” design concept symbolizes the fusion of SUV functionality and urban persona.
· It features a new type of crossover design that combines a stylish, flowing form with a high body and side cladding that enhances the sense of functionality of SUV.
· Equipped with a hexagon grille and hawk eye headlights, these design features emphasize the unique identity of Subaru vehicles. The innovatively designed alloy wheels and cut-away cladding give the XV a sporty and attractive appearance.
· The corners of the front and rear bumpers were designed with special edges that enhance the aerodynamic performance of the vehicle and also contribute to better fuel efficiency.
Along with the roomy and comfortable interior, a stylish design was selected to bring out the best qualities of the chosen materials and give passengers a feeling of quality.
- The instrument panel is styled horizontally, which gives a more roomy feeling.
- A luxurious interior was created that perfectly balances the different tactile and emotional qualities of leather, metal, and cloth.
- The Multi-Function Display is highly visible in the upper middle section of the instrument panel and provides the driver and passengers with information necessary for practical driving in a highly intuitive format. For high-grade type*1, a large 4.3 inches full-colour LCD is equipped with advanced infotainment such as eco-driving display and vehicle information display which supports the driver in a great many ways.
*1: Option for all models
Engine and transmission
The new generation Subaru Boxer engine, which was introduced last year with a totally new design, is installed in 1.6-litre and 2.0-litre petrol models. Along with the usual merits that horizontally opposed engines inherently possess, this engine has improved fuel efficiency and exhaust performance. Together with the adoption of the new Lineartronic (CVT), a newly developed “Auto Start Stop System”, the fuel efficiency was further improved. Also the Subaru Boxer Diesel, which was specially developed for the European market and received very favourable reviews, is featured in the XV line-up and is the most likely model to arrive in Ireland.
- By integrating the partition windows into the front doors and putting the door mirrors on the door panels, top-level forward visibility in this class was achieved, and blind angles were reduced. A stylish profile with a more streamlined rear roof edge was designed without impairing the rear field of view.
- In addition to SRS driver’s/passenger’s airbags, SRS side airbags and SRS curtain airbags, SRS driver’s knee airbag are installed as standard in all models.
- VDC (Vehicle Dynamics Control) is installed in all models as standard. Its intervention timing was optimised and incorporates control logic that demonstrates effectiveness in danger avoidance situations. A brake assist function is also incorporated into the VDC system. This provides the XV with world leading danger avoidance performance and increases driving confidence.
Major Specifications: (European Specs.)
[Note: Specifications are preliminary and subject to change.]
Overall Length x Width x Height (mm): 4,450 x 1,780 x 1,570
Wheelbase (mm): 2,635
Track Front/Rear (mm): 1,525 /1,525
Minimum road clearance (at kerb weight)(mm): 220
Seating Capacity: 5
Subaru Ireland will preview the Subaru XV to customers November 2011 with pre selling, and first deliveries mid January 2012. Retail prices to be announced shortly.