Unveiled earlier this year as one of six world debuts at the Geneva motor show, New Mégane Sport Tourer now becomes the tenth new Renault model this year as part of the company’s extensive range renewal programme.
- UK launch of New Mégane Sport Tourer range comprises 21 versions across four trim levels: Expression, Dynamique, TomTom Edition and Privilège, priced from £15,485 to £22,785
- Eight eco² versions with CO2 emissions of 140g/km or less
- High standard equipment levels include: 4x15W RDS radio CD, air conditioning, front and rear curtain airbags, electric front and rear windows, ESP and longitudinal roof bars
- Options include 17″ alloy wheels, Arkamys 3D Sound audio system with Bluetooth and multi-functional TunePoint (for portable music players and USB keys), Carminat TomTom®, electric panoramic sunroof, leather upholstery and bi-xenon headlights
- Nine engines at launch (four petrol and five diesel), ranging from 86hp to 180hp
- Available to order from 29th June and in showrooms from 15th August
Priced from £15,485 to £22,785, the new load-carrier is certain to shake-up the class, with an attractive combination of eye-catching looks, low-emission ‘eco²’ engines, impressive equipment levels and prices starting around £300 less than several of its rivals.
Compared to the entry-level versions of two of its principal rivals, Ford Focus Estate Studio 1.6 100 at £15,795, and the Vauxhall Astra Estate Life 1.4i 16V 90 at £15,790, the New Mégane Sport Tourer Expression 1.6 100 is more competitive by over £300. In the case of the Astra, Renault’s new entrant also has a more powerful engine.
Similar to the recently launched New Scénic range, several new engines and transmissions appear in the Mégane Sport Tourer range for the first time. With four in total, they are the 1.4 TCe (Turbo Control Efficiency) 130, 2.0 VVT 140 CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission), 2.0 dCi 160 FAP and 2.0 TCe 180.
New Mégane Sport Tourer and Renault eco²
Keeping pace with the Renault eco² programme, the New Mégane Sport Tourer range follows its Clio, Kangoo and Scénic siblings by offering several new eco² branded versions, with some of the lowest CO2 emissions in the class.
Both versions of the award-winning 1.5 dCi engine (86 and 106hp) emit 120 grams per kilometre or less in the estate version of Renault’s best-selling model. The 1.5 dCi 86 Expression produces only 118 grams. Versions with the 1.9 dCi 130 are also eligible. Two eco² models feature in each trim level, giving a total of eight affordable and low emission choices across the range.
New Mégane Sport Tourer – technology built-in
Just like the Clio and Scénic ranges, the Sport Tourer also benefits from the new integrated Carminat TomTom®,
The new system offers a wealth of intrinsic benefits, such as:
- user-friendly and ready-to-run as soon as the car is started
- very competitive pricing (£450)
- easy to read: large 5.8-inch (14.7cm) colour screen integrated in the dashboard. 3D bird view or 2D road-map display, with manual and automatic zoom
- reliable navigation incorporating traffic information and alternative routes, speed camera locations, speed limits, a large number of points of interest and a wide range of customisable functions
In addition to the fact that they offer greater protection against theft, integrated systems continue to stand out as the safest option in an accident. They are easy to read, too, thanks in this case to a 5.8-inch (14.7cm) colour screen which is positioned high up on the dashboard to minimise the time the driver’s eyes are off the road. The availability of 2D and 3D ‘bird view’ displays – with or without automatic zoom – make itineraries easy to follow.
The screen itself doubles up as a central multimedia display, including the automatic display of data and information concerning the radio, telephone address books (when combined with Bluetooth®), and MP3 player music playlists (albums and song titles) when employed with the TunePoint function.
Vocal navigation instructions are transmitted via the vehicle’s own loudspeakers which are in turn controlled by the steering wheel-mounted fingertip remote control. Carminat TomTom® comes with a remote control function (or joystick, depending on vehicle) for quick, safe use.
Carminat TomTom®, updatable and customisable
Carminat TomTom® is easy to update. Maps are stored on a 2GB SD card. By using the card on a computer linked to the internet, customers can access a long list of on-line services. It is then easy to:
- update and upgrade the navigation system thanks to free or payable downloads: maps, speed camera locations, points of interest, customisation of certain functions (voice, 3D vehicle icon, colours, etc.)
- order maps of other countries on-line (2GB SD cards can also be purchased)
- share, correct and save map information using MapShare®
- pre-trip planning with Google search®
- obtain e-guides, tuition, etc.
For those owners whose computer does not have an SD card function, a USB-type SD reader can be ordered separately.
New Mégane Sport Tourer – range structure
The range starts with Expression, at £15,485. Key features on this entry-level version include 4x15W RDS radio CD, air conditioning, front and rear curtain airbags, ESP, folding front passenger seat, front and rear electric windows, keyless car with Renault card and longitudinal roof bars.
Higher up the range, Dynamique boasts core equipment such as 16″ alloys wheels, automatic lights and wipers, Bluetooth and MP3 connection, Hands free Renault card and leather steering wheel.
Like New Clio and Scénic, a new TomTom Edition appears in the New Mégane Sport Tourer line-up. Based on Dynamique, it offers Carminat TomTom for an additional £360, rather than the £450 cost of it as an option.
Completing the range, flagship Privilège trim provides luxurious family motoring, adding Dual-Zone climate control, electric folding mirrors, electrochrome rear view mirror and rear armrest with storage.
Like all Renaults, a series of options are available for customising Mégane Sport Tourer models to specific tastes. Among them are:
£300 17″ alloy wheels
£350 Arkamys 3D Sound 4x15W RDS radio CD with Bluetooth and
£150 Automatic parking brake
£400 Dual Zone climate control
£450 Carminat TomTom ®
£900 Leather upholstery
£395 Metallic paint
£400 Parking proximity sensors – front and rear
£600 Sunroof – electric panoramic
To enhance the already svelte lines of the latest addition to the New Mégane range, a Style Pack is available on Expression versions at £380, offering 16″ Spirale alloy wheels and front fog lights.