Order books are open for Toyota’s revolutionary new iQ, with first deliveries to customers in January. An instant icon for modern urban motoring, iQ matches its advanced engineering and design with highly desirable equipment specifications: it’s proof that thinking small no longer means thinking modest.
- New Toyota iQ available to order now, with customer deliveries from January
- On-the-road prices from £9,495 for iQ 1.0 VVT-i manual
- Two trim levels – iQ and iQ2
- iQ equipped with 15-inch alloys, heated electrically adjustable door mirrors, air conditioning and six speaker audio system with auxiliary socket
- iQ2 fitted with high-gloss alloys, front fog lamps, automatic headlights and rain sensing wipers, smart entry and start system and climate control
- Standard safety features include ABS, Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD) and Vehicle Stability Control with steering assist (VSC+) and Traction Control (TRC)
- Nine airbags as standard, including world-first rear window airbag
- Bespoke accessory packs available for equipment upgrades and personalisation
- Metallic paint free on orders taken before 1 March 2009
- 1.0-litre VVT-i engine with manual transmission set to return 65.7mpg and 99g/km (provisional), exempt from road tax
With carbon dioxide emissions starting at a road tax-free 99g/km and combined cycle fuel economy of 65.7mpg for the 1.0-litre VVT-i with manual transmission, iQ is more than a match for many of its eco-themed rivals. And it returns these remarkable figures without having to sacrifice style, creature comforts and ride quality.
Its ground breaking design makes it the ideal compact machine for around-town driving, but with all the stability and handling dynamics of a larger car to keep it on the pace on the open highway. It can turn on a sixpence and slot easily into parking spaces that are forbidden territory to its rivals, yet the interior is spacious and flexible.
At launch the iQ range offers a revised version of Toyota’s award-winning* 1.0-litre three-cylinder VVT-i engine with a choice of five-speed manual transmission or Multidrive, the latest development of Toyota’s continuously variable transmission. On-the-road prices start at £9,495.
iQ 1.0 VVT-i manual:£9,495
iQ 1.0 VVT-i Multidrive:£10,495
iQ2 1.0 VVT-i manual:£10,495
iQ2 1.0 VVT-i Multidrive:£11,495
It may be one of the smallest cars on the market, but iQ demands no “make-do” compromises when it comes to equipment specifications.
iQ is available in two grades, iQ and iQ2, both of which come with the kind of standard specification that reads like a larger, premium model and is almost unheard of in the city car segment.
The entry-level iQ rides on 15-inch alloy wheels and projects a clean, contemporary appearance with colour-keyed door mirrors and bumpers and heated electrically adjustable door mirrors with integrated indicator lamps.
Air conditioning keeps things cool inside, while the six-speaker sound system provides a radio, CD player and MP3/WMA file playing from disc. There is also an auxiliary socket for connection to personal MP3 players. Electric windows, remote central locking, dark tinted privacy glass in the rear window and leather trim for the steering wheel and gear knob are also all included, together with a tonneau cover for the rear luggage space.
Upgrading to iQ2 brings even more sophisticated features. The alloys gain a high-gloss finish, fog lights are neatly integrated into the lower front bumper section and there are bi-halogen headlights with a smoke-tinted finish to their glass covers. The door mirrors are electronically retractable – handy for those ultra-tight parking spots iQ drivers will be making the most of.
Climate control air conditioning, smart entry and push-button start, automatic headlights and wipers and an auto-dimming rear view mirror raise the quality bar even higher.
iQ rebuts the assumption that small cars are less safe than larger ones with an exceptional array of active and passive safety provisions included as standard on all models.
Building on the inherent crash protection provided by iQ’s multi-load path construction, which effectively absorbs and disperses impact forces away from the cabin, the car benefits from ABS with Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist (BA). The quality of braking performance is matched by the secure handling afforded by Vehicle Stability Control (VSC+) with Traction Control (TRC).
Should the worst happen, occupants have 360-degree protection from an array of nine airbags strategically positioned around the cabin. These include front and side airbags for the driver and front passenger; curtain shield airbags to guard the head and upper body of all four occupants; a driver’s knee airbag; and an airbag built into the front of the passenger seat cushion.
In addition, iQ benefits from the world’s first rear window airbag, giving extra head protection to back seat passengers in a rear-end impact.
iQ equipment specification highlights
- 15-inch alloy wheels
- Manual air conditioning
- Electrically adjustable heated door mirrors with integrated turn indicators
- Remote central locking
- Colour keyed door mirrors and bumpers
- LED rear stop lamp
- Electrochromatic auto-dimming rear view mirror
- Leather steering wheel and gear knob trim
- Six-speaker audio system with radio, CD player and
- MP3/WMA compatibility from disc
- Auxiliary socket for MP3 player connection
- Audio controls on steering wheel
- Tilt-adjustable steering wheel
- Electric windows
- Rear window privacy glass
- Tonneau cover
- ABS with EBD and BA
- VSC with TRC
- Nine airbags(driver and front passenger front & side airbags; driver’s knee airbag; front passenger seat cushion airbag; curtain shield airbags; rear window airbag)
- High gloss 15-inch alloy wheels
- Climate control air conditioning
- Electrically adjustable and retractable heated door mirrors with integrated turn indicators
- Smart Entry and Smart Start
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Dusk-sensing headlights
- Bi-halogen headlamps with smoke-finished covers
- Chrome rear light cluster trim
ACCESSORIES AND OPTIONS
iQ owners looking for an upgrade will be able to add extra touches to their vehicle from a range of three bespoke accessory packs.
- iStyle: exterior styling elements, including chrome side sills, rear chrome garnish and aluminium scuff plates.
- iSports: sports styling features, including rear roof spoiler, rear skirt and chrome exhaust pipe finisher.
- iUrban: comprises rear parking sensors, reversible velour/rubber boot liner and carpet mats.
With such a high standard specification on iQ and iQ2, there are just two extra-cost options: leather seat upholstery and a fully integrated satellite navigation system with Bluetooth and iPod integration.
Accessory and option pricing
Leather seat upholstery:£700
From launch, iQ will be offered exclusively in three metallic paint options (White Pearl, Black and Deep Amethyst) which will be free of charge for orders taken before 1 March 2009.