A high-spec new variant of the Honda Civic 5-door goes on sale from September, giving the popular British-built hatchback even sportier looks.
The new Si grade will be available across the entire 5-door Civic range, in all engine variants and transmissions. The 1.4-litre Si model will wear Graphite coloured 16-inch alloy wheels while higher-powered 1.8 petrol and 2.2 diesel Si Civics will sit on 17-inch Graphite coloured alloy rims.
All Si variants will have colour-coded bumpers, front fog lights, a Type R-style mesh front grille and dark chrome door handles and fuel cap – like that on the Championship White Type R. Inside Si models will get half leather upholstery to continue the sports theme, plus a USB port for iPod connectivity.
The Si has been designed to appeal to the Civic’s increasingly youthful customer and those who want sporty looks with the practicality of a 5-door. And because the Si grade is available across the Civic 5-door range, those on a smaller budget can also enjoy the Si’s distinct looks.
The Civic Si 1.4-litre i-VTEC will go on sale later this year (date to be confirmed), followed by the Civic Si 1.8-litre i-VTEC and Civic Si 2.2-litre i-CTDi.
Three metallic exterior paint colours are available on the new grade: Alabaster Silver Metallic, Crystal Black Pearl, Deep Sapphire Blue Pearl, plus Milano Red as standard.
Si grades are priced at £850 RRP over the SE grade
• Civic Si 1.4 i-VTEC Manual – £15,800 OTR
• Civic Si 1.4 i-VTEC i-SHIFT – £16,600 OTR
• Civic Si 1.8 i-VTEC Manual – £16,835 OTR
• Civic Si 1.8 i-VTEC Automatic – £18,160 OTR
• Civic Si 2.2 i-CTDi Manual – £18,305 OTR
The Civic Si 1.4-litre manual delivers good fuel economy of 47.9mpg and CO2 emissions of 135g/km. When paired with the i-SHIFT transmission it delivers improved fuel economy of 49.6mpg and reduced CO2 emissions of 132g/km.
Meanwhile, the Civic Si 1.8-litre manual has CO2 emissions of 155g/km and fuel economy of 42.2mpg. All 1.8-litre engine Civic 5 door models are available with a classic automatic ‘box that was introduced early this year, and in Si guise will deliver 169g/km and 38.7mpg respectively. The Civic Si 2.2-litre (manual) achieves CO2 emissions of 139g/km and fuel economy of 53.3mpg.
The original Civic grades have been streamlined. For 2009/2010 Civic 5-door models the specification levels are:
- SE – Key features include: 16-inch alloy wheels, electric windows, climate control air conditioning, Magic Seats, refrigerated glove box, CD tuner with RDS and MP3 compatibility, auxiliary socket, steering wheel mounted audio controls. In addition 1.8 / 2.2-litre SE models get: twin chrome exhaust, leather steering wheel, drilled aluminium sports pedals and tweeter speakers.
- Si – Over and above the SE grade, key features include: Colour coded body moulding, unique front grille, front Fog lights, Graphite coloured 17-inch alloy wheels (16-inch on 1.4 models), dark chrome door handles and fuel cap, half leather interior and USB port.
- ES – Over and above the SE grade, key features include: 17-inch alloy wheels, front fog lights, panoramic glass roof, cruise control, auto headlights and wipers, dual-zone climate control and electric folding door mirrors.
- EX GT – Over and above the ES grade, key features include: Satellite Navigation with Bluetooth Hands-Free Technology, full leather upholstery, heated front seats, rear parking sensors, HID headlights, auto dimming rear view mirror and ambient footwell lighting.