Just released are the first official pictures of the new 500 Abarth – a high performance version of the Fiat 500 city car which went on sale in the UK last month. The 500 Abarth will make its international public debut at the Geneva Motor Show in March.
The new car was developed by Fiat Group Automobiles Style Centre in the spirit of the legendary Fiat 500 Abarth of the 1960s, and is powered by a Fire 1.4 16v petrol Turbo engine, which delivers a maximum of 135 bhp at 5,500 rpm, and peak torque of 206 Nm (152 lb.ft) at 3,000 rpm in ‘Sport’ mode, while in ‘Normal’ mode, torque is reduced to 180 Nm (132 lb.ft) at 2,500 rpm. This smooth and responsive new engine is also environmentally compatible. Like the Fiat 500 from which it is derived, the new 500 Abarth meets future Euro 5 emissions legislation.
The dramatic styling is not a mere exercise in interpretation, as the 500 Abarth optimises aerodynamic behaviour, reducing drag and increasing high speed stability, while the sideskirts also improve the Cd figure. Inside, the 500 features special instrumentation, with the addition of an analogue gauge to measure turbo pressure. An LED telltale that optimises gear changes by lighting up at the appropriate moment, is also incorporated.
500 ABARTH – BRIEF SPECIFICATION
- 4 cylinders in line, 4 valves per cylinder, 1368 cc;
- Power output: 135 bhp at 5,500 rpm;
- Peak torque in SPORT mode: 206 Nm (152 lb.ft) at 3,000 rpm;
- ‘Drive-by-wire’ accelerator control, without mechanical connection;
- Turboboost by IHI variable geometry turbo.
- 5-speed gearbox;
- Dual cable external gearbox control;
Suspension and steering
- MacPherson layout at front with anti-roll bar;
- Torsion beam axle with anti-roll bar;
- Ground-hugging sporty stance;
- Dualdrive electric power steering, with SPORT mode.
- Floating ZPH 4.1.2 front calliper, piston diameter 54 mm;
- Ventilated front brake discs, diameter 284 x 22 mm;
- Floating CII 34 rear calliper, piston diameter 34 mm;
- Solid rear brake discs, diameter 240 x 11 mm.
- Standard: Aluminium alloy rim 6.5″ x 16″ – Tyres: 195/45 R16;
- Optional: Aluminium alloy rim 7″ x 17″ – Tyres: 205/40 R17.