Saab has introduced two new diesel engines and two new trim levels for its 2005 9-3 range.
The two new 1.9 TiD multiple injection engines replace the previous 2.2 TiD unit in the 9-3 range, and will be available as 120 bhp and 150 bhp versions, each mated to a close-ratio six-speed manual transmission. A six-speed automatic option will become available for the 150 bhp models later in the year.
The new 1.9 TiD engines not only offer greater performance and improved economy over the previous 2.2 TiD unit, but also benefit from lower CO2 emissions, and full Euro 4 compliance, saving company car drivers a further 3 per cent in Benefit-in-Kind (BiK) surcharge.
The 9-3 1.9 TiD 120 bhp has a provisional CO2 level of 154 g/km (16 per cent tax band), with a 159 g/km (17 per cent band) CO2 rating for the 150 bhp unit. Both engines feature a maintenance-free particulate filter as standard.
On-the-road prices start from £18,995 for the 120 bhp 9-3 Linear 1.9 TiD model – £435 less than the outgoing 2.2 TiD Linear – and £19,995 for the 150 bhp 9-3 Linear.
The 2005 model year also sees two new trim levels introduced – Linear Sport and Vector Sport.
The new Sport variants are available with all 9-3 engine options, petrol and diesel, excluding the range-topping 210 bhp 2.0HOT Aero engine.
The Linear Sport model adds £1,000 to 9-3 Linear pricing, and gains dual-zone Automatic Climate Control, Driving Pack (Saab Car Computer and Cruise Control), front fog lamps, 16-inch alloy wheels, upgraded upholstery and Saab Park Assist reverse sensors.
The Vector Sport is priced at £650 more than the standard 9-3 Vector, and includes Electronic Stability Control, upgraded ES2-7 infotainment system, new design 17-inch alloy wheels and Saab Park Assist reverse sensors.
Elsewhere in the Saab range:
- An enhanced optional ‘Saab Comsense’ Advanced Voice Recognition system (Saab ES4) is now available, with voice command for the built-in hands-free telephone, radio, CD player and satellite navigation systems. The Comsense ES4 automatically mutes the telephone, navigation direction instructions and audio sound, in an emergency (e.g. in extreme braking). The satellite navigation graphics are also enhanced for 2005.
- The 9-3 Arc form is dropped, in favour of the new Sport model derivatives.
- All 9-3 Aero models – Sport Saloon and Convertible – gain powerful Bi-xenon headlamps as standard.
- An expanded choice of added-value factory-fit Option Packs becomes available, to further enable 9-3 buyers to personalise their Saab to their own tastes.
- Three new metallic colours are added to the 9-3 range for 2005; Chilli Red, Smoke Beige and Parchment Silver.
The revised 2005 9-3 range will be available from September at prices starting at just £16,995.