The cost of cutting a dash in the Audi A5 coupe has just been further reduced by the frugal new 53mpg A5 2.0 TDI, which is available to order now in front-wheel-drive and quattro four-wheel-drive forms priced from £28,485 OTR, and will reach its first UK customers in March 2009. Its launch also coincides with the introduction of the even more striking S line specification for all A5 models, available at a premium of £2,250 over standard trim.
- New A5 2.0 TDI available in front-wheel-drive and quattro four-wheel-drive forms priced at £28,485 OTR and £30,010 OTR
- Sport and recently introduced S line upgrades also available at premiums of £950 and £2,250 over standard models
- Powered by latest 2.0 TDI engine with common rail piezo fuel injection delivering 170PS at 4,200rpm and 350Nm from 1,750rpm to 2,500rpm – initially available with manual transmission only
- A5 2.0 TDI – 0-62mph in 8.3 seconds, 140mph top speed, 53.3mpg combined, CO2 140g/km, A5 2.0 TDI quattro 0-62mph in 8.2 seconds, 140mph top speed, 47.9mpg combined, CO2 156g/km
- New S line specification available across the A5 range includes S line body and interior styling enhancements, 18-inch S line alloy wheels, sports suspension and xenon headlamps with LED daytime running lights
In keeping with its performance coupe positioning, the A5 adopts the most powerful, 170PS version of the new generation 2.0-litre TDI unit first seen in the A4 Saloon and Avant. Enhanced by an advanced common rail piezo fuel injection system, the state-of-the art unit makes its impressive 350Nm torque output available from just 1,750rpm, and by fully exploiting this via the standard six-speed manual transmission the 0-62mph sprint can be dispatched in just 8.3 seconds in the front-wheel-drive version. This strong performance is underpinned by fuel economy that at 53.3mpg on the combined cycle is 20 per cent better than the already sparing A5 2.7 TDI (44.1mpg), and CO2 output that at 140g/km is 9 per cent down on the next lowest producer, the A5 2.0 TFSI (154g/km)
The significantly improved refinement of the new common rail TDI and the sophistication of the aluminium-rich five-link front and trapezoidal link rear suspension makes for unruffled progress in the A5 2.0 TDI, helped by its longest-in-class wheelbase. The repositioned front axle permitting shorter overhangs and much improved axle load distribution also works in favour of handling balance and agility, traits which are especially evident in the quattro version with its latest generation system with 40/60 front-to-rear power distribution.
New S line option
Even sharper response is available to drivers who choose the optional Sport upgrade, which along with 18-inch 10-spoke V-design alloy wheels and sports seats brings sports suspension lowered by 20mm. This suspension set up is also included as part of the new S line specification available for all A5 models, which features 18-inch 5-spoke S line alloy wheels, an exclusive S line front and rear bumper design, side sill extensions, S line treatments for the interior and xenon headlamps with LED daytime running lights. S line subscribers also have the option to specify an even more driver-focused S line suspension at no extra cost. A5 Sport models carry a premium of £950 over their standard counterparts in each case, and new S line versions a premium of £2,250 over standard specification.
The addition of the latest generation 2.0 TDI engine brings the total number of units powering the A5 to six. The range includes 2.7-litre and 3.0-litre V6 diesels with outputs of 190PS and 240PS, two 2.0-litre TFSI petrol units with 180PS and 211PS and a 3.2-litre V6 FSI petrol with 265PS.
The new Audi A5 2.0 TDI – OTR Pricing
A5 2.0 TDI : £28,485
A5 2.0 TDI Sport : £29,435
A5 2.0 TDI S line : £30,735
A5 2.0 TDI quattro : £30,010
A5 2.0 TDI quattro Sport : £30,960
A5 2.0 TDI quattro S line : £32,260
Key items of standard specification – A5 S line models
- 18-inch 5-spoke S line design alloy wheels with 245/40 R18 tyres
- Sports suspension (S line suspension available at no extra cost)
- S line side sill extensions and front and rear bumper design
- Xenon headlamps with LED daytime running lights
- 3-spoke S line multi-function steering wheel
- S line embossed sports seats upholstered in Milano leather
- Perforated leather gear knob
- 3-zone climate control
- Rear acoustic parking
- Driver’s Information System in colour
- Audi Concert audio system with single CD, 10 speakers, 180-watt output
- Electric front windows