Suzuki has unveiled its all-new SX4 Crossover. The new SX4 Crossover is a production model based on the S-Cross, which Suzuki showcased at the Paris Motor Show last year.
Suzuki’s designers and engineers began developing the new model as a successor to the current SX4. However, through the pursuit of responding to customer expectations with regard to crossovers in Europe and other parts of the world, they realised that they needed to “think bigger”. While moving into the C segment with its increased size, the new model inherits the “SX4” emblem to show that Suzuki (represented by the letter “S”) is a pioneer of both crossover and four-wheel drive (indicated by the “X” and “4” respectively).
Suzuki created the new SX4 Crossover by uniting its compact car know-how with technologies honed for sport utility vehicles. As a result of focussing on giving the new SX4 Crossover distinctive crossover styling, class leading space for passengers and luggage, next generation 4WD performance and one of the lowest CO2 emissions in the segment, it achieves a remarkable combination of styling, utility, performance and fuel economy. It is a model which can offer great driving enjoyment and versatile family usage for even more people in an even wider range of situations.
Suzuki will be building the new SX4 Crossover at the Magyar Suzuki plant in Hungary and the car will be on sale from this autumn onwards. Magyar Suzuki plays an important role as Suzuki’s European production centre. The launch of the new SX4 Crossover marks the start of an expansion programme in which Magyar Suzuki will extend its exports to more countries, increase its production volume, and establish itself as an important manufacturing base for Suzuki’s global strategy.
- Distinctive crossover styling – The styling combines a bold, sporty crossover shape, strong lines, a refined, distinctive character and excellent aerodynamics.
- More space for people and luggage – The C segment dimensions benefit families by making the new SX4 Crossover a class leader in terms of passenger space and luggage capacity (430 litres measured using the German Association of Automotive Industry (VDA) method).
- Next generation 4WD with ALLGRIP technology – A new 4WD system has four driver-selectable driving modes for better performance and safety under diverse conditions.
- Some of the lowest CO2 emissions in its category – Engine refinements, superior aerodynamics, and the high tensile steel used in the bodywork mean that the new SX4 Crossover has remarkably low CO2 emissions for a C segment crossover.
- World’s first double sliding glass sunroof – A double sliding glass panoramic sunroof – the first of its kind – has one of the largest opening areas in this category.
- Key design themes: emotion, quality and aerodynamics
- Urban sophistication and SUV ruggedness
- New colours to give emphasis to the styling
The new SX4 Crossover’s design embodies three key themes: emotion, quality and aerodynamics. Aerodynamics which improve fuel economy, a bold, characteristic crossover shape, dynamic lines and numerous sophisticated touches all combine to create a highly distinctive look. A sharp body line, wheel arch mouldings, skid plates and integrated roof rails emphasise the crossover styling.
- Emotion -Emotionally appealing features include modulated lines running along the sides from front bumper to rear combination lamps, plus a rounded bonnet which conveys a sense of strength and solidity.
- Quality – Quality features include chrome items at the front; LED daytime running lamps in the headlamps; boldly contoured shoulders along the side lines; and two part rear combination lamps.
- Aerodynamics – Aerodynamics are expressed and achieved in every area of the design, such as the roof line which slopes downwards towards the rear; smooth contours across the side of the body; a modulated line running from front to rear; low drag wheels and door mirrors.
- Emotion – Emotionally appealing features include an instrument panel which is shaped to give a sense of width and dynamism.
- Quality – The contours of the instrument panel overlap the doors and the soft padding is pleasant to touch. The seats are shaped and stitched to convey a sense of sophistication, while the silver decorations create a sporty look against the black interior.
A range of 10 exterior colours includes two new options which highlight the new SX4 Crossover’s urban credentials.
- Crystal Lime Metallic – This new colour brings a hint of the countryside to the city and a hint of the city to the countryside. People who see the car have a lasting impression of vivid greenness.
- Amethyst Grey Pearl Metallic – A new deep and lustrous grey, with a touch of amethyst evoking a spark in darkness.
- A blend of all-terrain crossover capability and on road performance
- A powertrain delivering environmental compatibility and great performance
- Transmission systems which heighten driving pleasure
- Remarkably low CO2 emissions for a C segment crossover
The new SX4 Crossover’s performance results from an exceptional combination of attributes: 4WD SUV capability; great handling – derived from the Swift; pleasant, straight running stability thanks to a long wheelbase; low CO2 emissions and fuel consumption – fulfilling the global needs for environmental compatibility.
Engines and transmission systems
The new SX4 Crossover’s powertrain technologies ensure environmental compatibility while delivering all the performance needed in a C segment crossover.
The engine options are 1.6-litre petrol and 1.6-litre diesel.
- 1.6-litre petrol engine – The 1.6-litre petrol engine is based on the current M16A. Lower friction and lower weight in the engine and related parts heighten fuel economy without detracting from the high power and torque of the M16A.
- 1.6-litre diesel engine – Lightness and low friction help to give the 1.6-litre diesel engine superior fuel economy. A variable geometry turbocharger ensures plenty of torque from the low end of the rev range, so the driver can enjoy powerful, perfect torque performance at all times. A newly designed sound insulating engine cover increases passenger comfort by suppressing the vibration and noise that characterise diesel engines.
Transmission systems designed for the new SX4 Crossover help to improve performance and fuel economy and ensure the type of easy, sporty gear shifting which makes driving so enjoyable.
- Manual transmission – A five-speed manual transmission is available with the 1.6-litre petrol engine. Optimised gear ratios boost performance and fuel economy. And heightened rigidity in the transmission case suppresses noise and vibration to make driving more relaxing. A six-speed manual transmission is mated to the 1.6-litre diesel engine. Optimised gear ratios increase fuel economy.
- CVT transmission – The continuously variable transmission (CVT) has an auxiliary transmission which extends the range of gear ratios for an outstanding combination of acceleration, hill climbing performance and fuel economy. A straight shift gate provides ease of use. Plus, a seven speed manual mode allows the driver to shift up and down using paddles without letting go of the steering wheel.
Suzuki developed the new SX4 Crossover to have remarkably low CO2 emissions for a C segment crossover. An Engine Auto Start Stop (EASS) system further increases fuel economy, limits exhaust emissions, and makes driving more pleasurable by limiting noise and vibration.
The CO2 emissions target for the new SX4Crossover petrol models are
- 125g/km* with two wheel drive (2WD) manual transmission
- 125g/km with 2WD CVT
- 136g/km* with 4WD manual transmission
- 136g/km with 4WD CVT.
The CO2 emissions for the diesel models are
- 110g/km* with 2WD manual transmission
- 115g/km* with 4WD manual transmission.
These figures will be among the lowest in the segment.
*with the Engine Auto Start Stop system
Note: CO2 emissions are pre-homologation figures.
- Light but impact absorbing body and various safety features designed for five star Euro NCAP rating*
The new SX4 Crossover gives both drivers and passengers peace of mind in everyday motoring by means of its superior stability and comprehensive active and passive safety facilities. It also incorporates a range of standard safety features which protect pedestrians.
*Based on Suzuki’s evaluations
Comfort and convenience
- An interior environment designed for comfort on long journeys
- One of the largest luggage capacities in its class (430 litres)
- A panoramic sunroof with one of the largest opening areas in its class and world first* double sliding glass panels
A spacious, airy cabin and a generously sized luggage area ensure convenience and comfort for the whole family during day-to-day commutes and extended weekend trips.
Cabin and luggage area
4,300mm overall length and a 2,600mm wheelbase allow plenty of cabin space; the distance between front and rear occupants is 814mm.
The front seat-backs are shaped to give rear passengers plenty of knee clearance. Even long journeys are relaxing. And even with the rear seat in an upright position, the new SX4 Crossover is a class leader in terms of luggage capacity (430 litres).
The rear seat and a luggage board can be repositioned to accommodate different kinds of luggage, making the new SX4 Crossover ideal for families.
|New SX4||Current SX4|
|Overall height||1,575mm (16”wheels)|
1,570mm (17” wheels)
|Treads||Front 1,535mm||Front 1,500mm|
|Rear 1,505mm||Rear 1,495mm|
|Luggage capacity (VDA)||430L||270L|