The MINI John Cooper Works Paceman combines mouthwatering sporting flair and inimitable style to usher in a new dimension in driving fun. The seventh top-class athlete in the John Cooper Works range blends the overall concept of the first Sports Activity Coupé in its class with powertrain and chassis technology developed on the back of extensive motor sport expertise and the standard presence of ALL4 all-wheel drive. The driver and passengers can lap up the resultant sensation of race competition and the interior’s characteristic sports car ambience from four individual seats.
A new addition to the compact segment: a Sports Activity Coupé with a racing flavour.
The MINI John Cooper Works Paceman takes to the stage as the stand-out sporting tool in a new category of car. The new model sees the compact Sports Activity Coupé concept wrapped up in an extra layer of muscular proportions and dynamically stretched lines.
The performance-maxing character of the MINI John Cooper Works Paceman is further emphasised by an aerodynamic kit, which features as standard alongside lowered sports suspension and 18-inch light-alloy wheels. The selection of exterior paint finishes includes Chili Red, which can also be specified – exclusively on the John Cooper Works model – as a contrast shade for the roof and exterior mirror caps, as well as for the Sport Stripes.
Engine and gearbox: top performance as standard, automatic transmission optional.
The 1.6-litre four-cylinder engine powering the MINI John Cooper Works Paceman boasts a twin-scroll turbocharger, petrol direct injection and variable valve control based on the BMW Group’s VALVETRONIC technology. It develops output of 160 kW/218 hp and peak torque of 280 Newton metres (207 lb-ft), which can be increased to 300 Newton metres (221 lb-ft) for short periods between 2,100 and 4,500 rpm courtesy of the overboost function. The sports exhaust system provides this power delivery with a suitably stirring soundtrack.
The engine sends its power through a six-speed manual gearbox as standard, although a six-speed automatic is also available as an option. The MINI John Cooper Works Paceman sprints from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 6.9 seconds – with either gearbox – on the way to a top speed of 226 km/h / 140 mph (manual) or 224 km/h / 139 mph (automatic). The engine’s inherent efficiency and extensive MINIMALISM technology ensure exceptionally low fuel consumption and emissions for this output class. The MINI John Cooper Works Paceman posts average fuel consumption of 7.4 litres per 100 kilometres / 38.2 mpg imp (automatic: 7.9 l/100 km / 35.8 mpg imp) and CO2 emissions of 172 grams (automatic: 184 grams) per kilometre in the EU test cycle.
ALL4 all-wheel drive delivers unbeatable poise, assurance and sporting ability.
The MINI John Cooper Works Paceman sends its extreme engine power to the road through all four wheels. Its ALL4 all-wheel-drive system uses an electromagnetic centre differential to distribute drive seamlessly between the front and rear axles – and, in so doing, optimises traction, driving stability and agility through dynamically taken corners.
Chassis modifications to the MINI John Cooper Works Paceman include firmly tuned springs and dampers, strengthened anti-roll bars, a 10-millimetre lower ride height and a braking system with red callipers. The DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) system comprises DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) mode, and the standard Sport Button allows the driver to tweak the engine’s responses and soundtrack, as well as the power assistance provided by the steering.
Interior with lounge-style surroundings and sports car ambience.
The MINI John Cooper Works Paceman lays on four seats and 330 litres of boot capacity. The two rear seat backrests can be folded down individually, increasing the amount of load space to as much as 1,080 litres. These individual seats give the rear compartment a lounge-like ambience to go with the cockpit’s typically John Cooper Works sports car environment. Central features up front include bespoke sports seats, a sports steering wheel, interior trim strips in Piano Black, an anthracite-coloured roof liner and dark-coloured dials for the speedometer and rev counter.
Standard specification also features air conditioning and the MINI Boost CD radio, while the optional extras available for the regular MINI Paceman, MINI Connected technology, model-specific options and John Cooper Works accessories provide an extra boost to comfort and individuality.
At a glance.
- Seventh model joins the elite performance line-up under the banner of MINI’s John Cooper Works sub-brand; MINI John Cooper Works Paceman blends the compact Sports Activity Coupé concept with racebred powertrain and chassis technology; second John Cooper Works model to be fitted as standard with the MINI ALL4 all-wheel-drive system, enhancing traction and driving stability on loose ground, as well as agility through dynamically taken corners.
- MINI John Cooper Works Paceman brings a focused and authentic slice of racing car credibility to the premium compact segment; Coupé-style body with two doors and a large tailgate; powerful proportions, dynamically stretched lines and hallmark John Cooper Works design features hint at enthralling sporting ability; powertrain and chassis technology underpinned by many years of racing experience, and the longstanding John Cooper Works / MINI relationship conjures up inspirational performance attributes.
- Most powerful version of the new-generation John Cooper Works engine with four cylinders and 1.6-litre displacement; intoxicating performance characteristics rooted in construction principles and materials adapted from motor sport and cutting-edge innovations developed by the BMW Group’s powertrain experts; twin-scroll turbocharger, petrol direct injection and fully variable valve management based on the BMW Group’s VALVETRONIC technology; maximum output: 160 kW/218 hp; peak torque: 280 Newton metres / 207 lb-ft (300 Nm / 221 lb-ft with overboost function); sports exhaust system comes as standard.
- Sprint from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) completed in 6.9 seconds; acceleration figures the same with both the standard-fitted six-speed manual gearbox and the optional six-speed automatic with steering wheel shift paddles; stand-out efficiency in this output class thanks to extensive range of MINIMALISM technology, including Brake Energy Regeneration, Shift Point Display, Auto Start/Stop function and Electric Power Steering; standard Sport Button tweaks accelerator responses, the engine’s vocal character, the power assistance provided by the steering and the shift dynamics of the optional automatic gearbox, if fitted.
- Six-speed manual gearbox fitted as standard, six-speed automatic gearbox with Steptronic function and steering wheel shift paddles available as an option; standard sports exhaust produces stirring soundtrack.
- MINI ALL4 permanent all-wheel-drive system fitted as standard; distribution of power varied seamlessly between the front and rear axles by an electromagnetic centre differential positioned directly on the final drive; ALL4 control electronics are integrated into the management unit of the standard DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) system – which also comprises DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) and Electronic Differential Lock Control (EDLC) – and tuned specifically to the MINI John Cooper Works Paceman; link-up of systems allows extremely fast and precise adjustment of power distribution to optimise traction, driving stability and the hallmark MINI agility over any terrain and through dynamically taken corners.
- Sophisticated chassis technology with model-specific set-up and tuning; MacPherson struts at the front axle, central-arm rear axle; standard sports suspension with particularly firmly tuned springs and dampers, strengthened anti-roll bars and a 10-millimetre drop in ride height; powerful brakes with red callipers; weight-optimised 18-inch light-alloy wheels in Twin Spoke Black Burnished design fitted as standard; exclusive 19-inch wheels available as an option.
- Standard-fitted aerodynamic kit accentuates racing character and optimises airflow; John Cooper Works logo on the radiator grille, tailgate, door sill strips and side indicators surrounds; front foglamps fitted as standard; selection of nine exterior paint shades available, including the Chili Red shade exclusively for John Cooper Works models; White, Black and Chili Red can be ordered as a contrast paint finish for the roof and exterior mirror caps, as well as for the Sport Stripes.
- Distinctively designed interior, featuring a pair of individual rear seats in the rear compartment; generous head, shoulder and legroom; armrests integrated into the rear panel trim; MINI Centre Rail included as standard; individually folding rear seat backrests; load capacity can be increased from 330 litres to as much as 1,080 litres.
- Lounge ambience in the rear compartment combines with special John Cooper Works cockpit design; sports seats, sports steering wheel, interior trim strips in Piano Black, anthracite-coloured roof liner and dark speedometer and rev counter dials as standard; optional: sports seats with Lounge Leather trim in Carbon Black Championship Red, interior trim strips in Chili Red.
- High-quality standard equipment includes air conditioning and MINI Boost CD radio; variety of individualisation options and comfort-enhancing features, such as xenon headlights, Adaptive Headlights, Comfort Access, automatically dimming rear-view mirror and exterior mirrors, electrically operated tilting/sliding glass sunroof, Park Distance Control, harman/kardon hi-fi loudspeaker system, MINI navigation system; range of MINI Connected functions include web radio, in-car use of Facebook and Twitter, Dynamic Music, Driving Excitement, Mission Control and the MINIMALISM Analyser
Technical specifications and performance
Four-cylinder petrol engine with twin-scroll turbocharger, direct injection and fully variable valve management based on the BMW Group’s VALVETRONIC technology.
Displacement: 1,598 cc, output: 160 kW/218 hp at 6,000 rpm,
max. torque: 280 Nm (207 lb-ft) at 1,900 – 5,000 rpm
(with overboost: 300 Nm / 221 lb-ft at 2,100 – 4,500 rpm).
Acceleration (0-100 km/h / 62 mph): 6.9 seconds,
top speed: 226 km/h / 140 mph (automatic: 224 km/h / 139 mph).
Average fuel consumption according to EU: 7.4 litres per 100 kilometres / 38.2 mpg imp (7.9 l/100 km / 35.8 mpg imp)
CO2 emissions: 172 g/km (184 g/km).
Length: 4,124 millimetres
Width: 1,786 millimetres
Height: 1,527 millimetres
Wheelbase: 2,596 millimetres