Jeep has thoroughly updated its Grand Cherokee range for 2008, with a range of new features and a new interior that makes this Jeep the most luxurious ever.
New soft-touch interior dashboard materials, interior colours and new textures all help to make the new Grand Cherokee even more desirable while a host of new features – tilt and telescope steering column, improved steering wheel and armrests for improved ergonomics and comfort, new instrument clusters and floor console with improved cup holders – all add to the high-class ambience.
In addition, Limited and Overland models get a new leather-wrapped parking brake handle and the Overland gets a new leather package on seats, doors and dashboard and heated second row seats.
The MyGIG infotainment system is a new option that offers owners the very latest integrated onboard systems. There’s MP3 player compatibility, a touch screen controlled navigation system as well as the ability to store up to 1600 songs on an integrated 20GB hard drive. The UConnect Hands-free Communication System uses Bluetooth technology to provide voice-activated wireless communication.
On the exterior, a new front fascia and grille surround with a new body-colour front sill and air dam give the latest Grand Cherokee a more modern look, together with a new range of alloy wheels and a new headlamp design.
Simon Elliott, Managing Director of Chrysler UK Ltd, said: “Our new leather package helps create a sumptuous interior to cosset driver and passengers and offers everything that customers want from a luxury SUV without the excessive price tag. As usual the latest Jeep offers outstanding value for money and the efficiency of a Mercedes-Benz diesel engine across the range.”
The latest Grand Cherokee is also still hard to beat off-road. Hill Descent Control now comes as standard on diesel models and is designed to mimic the safe downhill control offered by the ultra-low gearing usually found in hard-core off-road vehicles like the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.
Elliott added: “If you think that all of these off-road gadgets never get used then think again. Driving up or down ice or snow covered roads will be made safer with 4×4 and Hill Descent Control, while anyone who has ever towed anything in wet and slippery road conditions can appreciate the benefits of being able to control your speed down a steep hill.”
For 2008, a whole new model will also be added to the range – the Grand Cherokee S-Limited.
The S-Limited model includes all of the refinements for 2008 and adds many of the visual enhancements that make the high-performance Grand Cherokee SRT-8 such a visual feast. These standard features include SRT-inspired exterior features including front fascia and side sill moulding, unique ‘Arrowhead’ 18-inch alloy wheels, SRT body-coloured wire mesh front grille and body coloured wing mirrors, rear spoiler and deep tint windows. On the inside the S-Limited gets the MyGIG ‘entertainment’ system as standard, SRT-8 leather steering wheel, gear shifter and aluminium bezel finishes and dark slate grey leather interior trim on seats, doors and dashboard.
2008 Interior Specification changes:
- MyGIG Multimedia Entertainment System with DVD and MP3 compatibility (optional on Limited)
- MyGIG Multimedia Infotainment System with satellite navigation, which also includes UConnect (Bluetooth) (optional)
- Tilt and telescope steering column and new steering wheel
- New instrument clusters
- New floor console with improved cup holders
- Limited and Overland models get a new leather-wrapped parking brake
- Overland gets new leather package on doors and dashboard
- Door panels have new armrests for improved ergonomics and comfort
- Heated second row seats (standard on Overland and SRT-8)
2008 Exterior Specification changes:
- New front fascia and grille surround with body-colour front sill and air dam
- Chrome roof rack rails on Limited
- New headlamp design (with HID headlamps standard on Overland)
- New 17-inch alloy wheels on Limited. New 18-inch wheels on Overland
Other new features:
- Hill Descent Control
- Hill Start Assist
- New front and rear parking sensors (standard on Limited, S-Limited, Overland and SRT-8)
- Trailer Sway Control (late availability)
Grand Cherokee S-Limited (extra specification in addition to Limited model):
- SRT-inspired exterior features including front fascia and side sill moulding
- Unique ‘Arrowhead’ 18-inch alloy wheels
- SRT body-coloured wire mesh front grille, body coloured wing mirrors and rear spoiler
- MyGIG ‘entertainment’ system as standard
- SRT-8 leather steering wheel, gear shifter and aluminium bezel finishes
- Leather interior trim on doors and dashboard (as with Overland)
- Dark slate grey leather interior trim
- Deep tint windows
- Rear spoiler
- Available in Brilliant Black, Bright Silver and Steel Blue
Available from March 2008, the new range consists of the 3.0 CRD, Limited, S-Limited, and Overland models all with a diesel engine. The Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 – the quickest, most powerful Jeep ever made – with a 6.1-litre V8 petrol engine will continue to top the range in the UK.
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee prices
3.0 V6 CRD:£26,995
3.0 V6 CRD auto Limited:£30,895
3.0 V6 CRD auto S-Limited:£32,495
3.0 V6 CRD auto Overland:£35,595
6.1 V8 Hemi SRT-8 Petrol auto:£42,120
Prices correct at 17 March 2008