The dream of millions of Hot Wheels® fans of all ages will come to life when the Camaro Hot Wheels Edition arrives at Chevrolet dealerships early next year. This is the first time a full-size production Hot Wheelscar has been offered for sale by any manufacturer.
Blister packaging and orange race track not included.
“Millions of us grew up playing with Hot Wheels,” said Chris Perry, vice president of Chevrolet Marketing. “Offering a special production model of the Camaro Hot Wheels is an opportunity to bring those memories to life, for kids of all ages.”
The Camaro Hot Wheels Edition debuted at the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) Show in Las Vegas. A special run of the Camaro Hot Wheels Edition will be produced in the first quarter of 2013 – and like the collectable toys on which it is based – when they’re gone, they’re gone.
“It’s been nearly 20 years since I started designing cars for Hot Wheels and I have yet to drive one home,” said Felix Holst, vice president of creative for the Mattel Wheels Division. “Personally, I can’t wait to open the doors and see the Hot Wheels Camaro sitting in the garage.”
The appearance of the Camaro Hot Wheels Edition echoes the cues that Hot Wheels enthusiasts recognise, including a vibrant, graphics-accented metallic paint scheme. The result is instantly recognisable as a Hot Wheels.
The Camaro Hot Wheels Edition is available in V8 coupe with manual or automatic transmission, blending exterior cues of the high-performance Camaro ZL1 with a Kinetic Blue exterior colour and unique graphics. Exterior highlights include:
- ZL1 rear spoiler
- ZL1 front upper grille
- Ground effects package, including front splitter and rocker treatment
- Black 20-inch wheels
- Two-tone matte hood graphic and rear taillight panel “blackout” graphic
- Fender “flame” graphics
- Hot Wheels grille and decklid logos
On the inside, a black leather-trimmed interior is accented with red and black seat stitching with the Hot Wheels logo embroidered on the front seats. The instrument panel and door inserts are black, with the Hot Wheels-style flame decal on each door. Hot Wheels Edition sill plates also distinguish the car, along with Camaro-logo premium floor mats with red edging.
The Camaro Hot Wheels Edition features a 6.2-litre V8 coupled with a manual transmission that churns out 432 ps (318 kW) and 569 Nm of torque, or an automatic which develops 405 ps (298 kW) and 556 Nm of torque. The latter features fuel-saving Active Fuel Management.
The order books are now open in the UK with a price of £40,020 for the Coupe Manual and £41,520 for Coupe Automatic.
Incidentally, the original Custom Camaro 1:64-scale toy from 1968 was one of the original16 Hot Wheels issued and remains one of the most valuable Hot Wheels toys among collectors.
Chevrolet Camaro Hot Wheels Edition Features
- New exterior colour Kinetic Blue metallic
- 20” Black Wheel with Black wheel centre caps
- Ground effects in dark smoke gray finish, which includes ZL1 rocker mouldings and a front splitter
- Stripes (hood, roof, decklid, spoiler, upper grille blackout with red pin stripe and rear quarter Hot Wheels stripe)
- Blackout stripe (Original Wraps) with red pinstripe – between tail lamps on rear fascia
- New “Hot Wheels” emblem in front grille
- ZL1 spoiler with package shelf CHMSL closeout
- Side gill decal stripes
- “Hot Wheels” sill plates
- ZL1 upper front grille
- Hot Wheels emblems located on each fender near the Camaro nameplate
- All models include a black accessory engine cover
- Black interior with torch red and Jet black stitching (front is a combination of red and black stitching, rear seats is red stitching, Instrument Panel soft insert, steering wheel, shift knob, and shift boot)
- Seat inserts perforated leather except for the panel where the Hot Wheels logo will be embroidered onto a red patch
- Steering wheel with torch red stitching
- New Hot Wheels badge on steering wheel with existing trim plate
- Surface mounted decal to implement a Hot Wheels flame logo on door inserts
- Carbon Flash I/P and door inserts and red light pipe.
- Premium floormat with torch red stitching and Silver “Camaro” name
- Instrument Panel gauge cluster bezel (Carbon Flash), HVAC centre Instrument Panel bezel and bright silver parts on steering when painted black soft touch
Hot Wheels® is a registered trademark of Mattel, Inc. All rights reserved.