The Continental GTC, Bentley Motors’ new luxury 2+2 convertible, will be officially unveiled at the New York International Automobile Show in April 2006. When the stunning convertible goes on sale later this year it will complete the Bentley Continental model range, following the introduction of the highly successful Continental GT in 2003 and four-door Continental Flying Spur in 2005.
With a top speed of 195mph (312km/h), a sophisticated all-wheel drive system, state-of-the-art 12-cylinder engine, advanced air suspension and ultra-stiff body structure, the Continental GTC displays all the poise, exhilarating performance and dynamic handling of the Continental GT. In common with its stable mates, the interior of the new Continental GTC provides an unrivalled standard of craftsmanship, utilising natural wood veneers and leather hides of the finest quality, which are on full display when you lower the elegant, electro-hydraulically operated soft-top roof.
"The Continental GTC is the most distinctive new Bentley yet," explains Bentley Motors’ Chairman and Chief Executive, Dr Franz-Josef Paefgen. "It is very elegant and at the same time effortlessly modern. It will appeal to many different customers: people who are tired of driving sports cars that require too much effort; people who want to move up from more standard convertibles; and people who want to make a statement about what they drive, yet still own a car that they can use every day of the year."
The Continental GTC becomes the second convertible to grace the current Bentley range. It follows the recently announced return of the evocative Azure name for Bentley’s Arnage-derived flagship four-seater convertible.
While the Azure offers the ultimate glamour, sophistication and accommodation for adults in supreme comfort, the 2+2 Continental GTC is designed for customers looking to enjoy the phenomenal performance, style and excitement of the Continental GT with the additional benefits of classic open-top Bentley motoring.
- An all-new 2+2 convertible version of the Continental GT coupe that blends peerless Bentley craftsmanship and design with modern technologies to provide unparalleled comfort in an open-top car.
- Ultra-stiff body structure benefits vehicle refinement and dynamic performance.
- A stunning cabin that uses exquisite Bentley design and craftsmanship to create a spacious, welcoming interior. A classic mix of leather hides and wood veneers give a contemporary but timeless appearance.
- Unique seven-bow, three-layer, soft fabric roof with heated glass rear screen operates electro-hydraulically and provides peerless acoustic damping and exceptional refinement during use.
- Wide variety of exterior and interior roof colours gives the customer more design choice.
- Outstanding performance thanks to a top speed (roof up) of 195mph (312km/h) and a 0-60mph time of 4.8 seconds (0-100km/h in 5.1 seconds).
- With the roof down the top speed is still a remarkable 190mph (306km/h)
- Powered by the awesome Crewe-built, W12 twin-turbocharged 6-litre engine, tuned to provide not just a massive 552bhp (560PS/411kW) but 479lb ft (650Nm) at just 1600rev/min to deliver that legendary Bentley wave of torque from low revs.
- New rear suspension system improves the ride and refinement, and increases roof stowage space without impacting on 235-litre luggage compartment volume, which can carry skis and golf bags or travel bags simultaneously.
- A high-tech, all-wheel-drive system with Torsen differential for exceptional stability and grip in any conditions is driven by an advanced six-speed automatic gearbox with manual change mode and paddleshift controls.
- Air suspension with continuous damping control (four adjustable settings).
- The Continental GTC shares its massive braking system with the Continental GT coupe. The 405mm ventilated front brake discs are the largest diameter discs of any series production passenger car on sale today.
- The Bentley Continental GTC will begin its global roll-out from the end of 2006.